Saturday, November 10, 2007

I love hymns!

Day and night they never stop saying, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty . . ." Revelation 4:8

As a 40s-something with 3 adult children, I look forward to the time when my kids will yearn for hymns as my husband and I do in worship at church and at home. I played them often at home and hope some of the words soaked into my children’s minds before they moved out.

Hymns are like meat of spirituality – they fill me in the depths of my being. Almost the minute I hear the beginning chords of a hymn, my spirit starts to soar, my heart constricts and tears rush to my eyes as I think of my sin and unworthiness when standing before God. Then a verse comes up that tells how God saved us and I’m at peace again.

I’m sorry, but few modern-day songs have that effect on me.

Most contemporary Christian songs are God-filled, but the repetition and simple lyrics seem like whipped cream – light and fluffy.

Yet, more churches seem to be catering to young people by conducting separate worship services with contemporary choruses. We attended a church recently that had 2 worship services going on simultaneously – one was hymns, another contemporary choruses.

Ultimately, music should not be used to separate believers, but bring them together. Which service would Jesus have chosen?

What do you think about hymns and contemporary Christian music? Should churches have separate services for each? Which do you prefer?


Here’s one of my favorites, 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus. It is in public domain, but I found the lyrics at www.hymnsite.com. This is a handy site for reviewing the words to your favorite hymn. You can even hear it being played on piano, organ or bells. Cool!

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
and to take him at his word;
just to rest upon his promise,
and to know, "Thus saith the Lord."
Refrain: Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him!
How I've proved him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust him more!

2. O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
just to trust his cleansing blood;
and in simple faith to plunge me
neath the healing, cleansing flood!

(Refrain)

3. Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
just from sin and self to cease;
just from Jesus simply taking
life and rest, and joy and peace.

(Refrain)

4. I'm so glad I learned to trust thee,
precious Jesus, Savior, friend;
and I know that thou art with me,
wilt be with me to the end.

(Refrain)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home