Saturday, July 08, 2006

Learning to let go of worry

It’s a beautiful morning and I’m outside with my laptop on our patio. The sun is shining and I’ve already taken a walk around our neighborhood. I couldn't ask for a better way to start the weekend.

I woke up feeling a little down, however. Few paying writing projects are in the hopper right now.

Some big bills have come in lately and without some freelance money to look forward to, I’m wondering what will happen. At times like this, I always remember the story of Charles Dickens and how he came to write “A Christmas Carol.” Dickens had little money coming in and big bills to pay. He may have also had a sick family member to care for – I can’t remember.

It was nearing the Christmas holiday and Dickens knew he had to have money to heat his home for his family. So he supposedly sat down and penned “A Christmas Carol,” not out of a great need to spread the message of hope and love at this sacred time of year, but because of financial need.

He must have had some desire to encourage people to hope at that time of year, else he could have written something more along the lines of Frankenstein. But at least he was a practical man and did think about money too.

I also remember the words of the Apostle Paul in the Bible: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” Philippians 4:12 (New International Version)

So I’m practicing contentment today. I’m also going to start writing the screenplay I’ve been researching for months. And when I’m tempted to worry, I’ll just say to myself, ‘I’m not going to think about that financial situation anymore.’

Instead I’m going to do what Paul suggests: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7.

I know this will be a challenge because I’ll want to take on that worry, but I’ll just ask God to help me with it and I know He will.

If you’ve got something pressing on you today, I encourage you to memorize these verses and use them in your own life. And ask God to help you. He will.

Take care.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay,

Thanks for sharing some of your concerns and how you handle them.

Also, from the July 5th blog, when are you going to tell if the checks you found in your office were still good and if they helped your finances any!

Cathy

Sat Jul 08, 07:43:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home