Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Chocolatey Day

“Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.”- Psalm 37:4

I go to www.BibleGateway.com daily to see what their Bible verse is and I then send it to my children by email. Today’s verse, as is so often what happens, really applies to me! I had written the story below about my day today before looking up the verse. That goes to show God wants to give us good things!

Some days as a writer are better than others. Today was one of the better days. A friend of mine who is a food preparer invited me to sit in on a chocolate recipe contest judging for the magazine she cooks for. Of course, I had to think about it and look at my calendar to see if I was busy. Right!

I did make the out-of-town drive worth the cost of gas when I ran it past my editor and he OK’d me to interview my friend and the food stylist to write an article about what it’s like to do their jobs. It must be difficult but it didn’t look like it to me!

My friend created 10 chocolate recipes among the entries the editor had selected as sounding the best of all she received (over 100!). Then I, along with several other volunteer tasters, sampled each one and reported our four favorites. The top four entries among the taste-testers were voted the best recipes and their creators were awarded $100.

I knew without tasting the cheesecake with chocolate chips melted on top and chocolate crust that it would be one of my four favorites. Yum! Then there was a muffin that tasted more like a brownie. Wow! I also chose a shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate at one end and white chocolate at the other. They were so pretty!

My favorite was the gooey, messy, and oh-so-chocholaty cake-like mixture made in a crockpot. It was warm and had a deep rich flavor, reminding me of a fudge cake Mom used to make.

I left the taste testing after giving one of the judges my four favorites. My head felt a little woozy from all of the heavenly sugar and fat, so I came home and ate cheese to let my system know I still had some control.

Obviously, not every day is that much fun, but when those days do come along, I’m grateful!

Have a blessed day!

Kayleen Reusser

http://www.KayleenR.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Wow, what an assignment! Sounds like a really "rough" day. Some days are just like that...

Sun Oct 22, 02:26:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home