Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Speaking at the National Missionary Convention

When is the last time you have stretched yourself?
Last Saturday I led a workshop at the National Missionary Convention in Indianapolis. The workshop was entitled “So You Want to be a Writer.” This was my first major speaking engagement. I was just a teensy bit nervous!

In the workshop I spoke about how beginners can get published fairly quickly by writing how-to and personal essay articles. I also spoke about how we can minister through our writing to readers, editors, and other writers.

There were more attendees than I had anticipated – around 75 people. Most received the 3-page handouts; the rest I have emailed it as an attachment.

I asked them if they would like to be added to my email mailing list that I send to friends about four times a year about my writing. I include information on learning more about the writing craft.

We also had a book giveaway at the end. I gave away a copy of Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul 2 book which has one of my stories in it ("A Purpose in Death"). Also Sally Stuart donated a copy of her 2006 Christian Writer's Market Guide.

Several people came up and asked me to autograph the Chicken Soup books. That was fun! Others had questions which was fun to address. It was a great experience!

If anyone reading this would like to be added to my list – I only send it out 4x/year and I don’t sell the names to anyone! – let me know. My next mailing – the last one of 2006 – will go out in a few weeks. Hard to believe the year is almost over!

In the meantime, I encourage you to start writing -- anything, even a Christmas letter will do when you're starting out! Visit my website to see some examples of where research for writing can take you. I’ll be updating the site soon with additional photos so refer back to it again soon.

If you have any questions about writing, please let me know. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll try to find someone who can address it.

I pray all of you will find the courage to write and feel God’s blessings on you as you do it for Him!

Don't give up!
Take care.

Kayleen Reusser
www.KayleenR.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home