Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanks, Vets!

“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.”- Colossians 1:9


Yesterday was Veterans Day. I didn’t have my computer on so I couldn’t post a comment for all of the veterans so this is it today.

I didn’t grow up in a military family and didn’t know anyone who was in any branch of the service. Then I married a man who was in the Air Force. He created the love for flying in our son who is now a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and planning to enter flight training soon. I’m proud of both of them and know my outlook has changed from having military members for loved ones.

Yesterday I watched an hour-long documentary on the D-Day invasion. Several survivors of that day were interviewed. Their remembrances from 60 years later – guilt from surviving, horrific pics in their minds from scenes of buddies dying on Omaha Beach that still ply them with nightmares – were heart-wrenching.

By the end of the hour, my waste basket was full of used tissues. I kept thinking, they were the same age or even younger than my son. What were they doing there? Why did they have to go through that?

Having family members in the military has made me more sensitive to this type of program. But hopefully even if I had never had a loved one in the military I would still respect each person who has ever served and continue to pray for them daily.

Thanks to each person who has ever served for our country and to their families who give up a lot to help our country. You are not forgotten. You are loved and respected deeply.

Our church is planning to send Christmas cheer boxes to military people at Christmas. What could you do to help a member of the military this Christmas?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home