Monday, May 12, 2008

My dad's birthday

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith." Rom. 1:16-17



Today was my dad’s birthday. He’s been gone a couple of years from complications due to surgery and we miss him greatly.

At this time of graduation, it brings back some regrets at his passing. I so wish he could have seen my kids graduate from college and my youngest from high school. He would be so proud of them. He loved them and all of us in the family unconditionally. I always knew I could go to my dad with any problem and he would listen and try to help.

I tried not to take advantage of that as I got older, but it was tempting to look to someone for help who always wanted to fix my problems.

Dad loved people so much. Whenever I see a certain guy at church, I think of how Dad counseled him and offered friendship when the guy had legal problems.

His own dad died when dad was a young man, which meant he was now the man of the house. That was a challenge with a large family to feed.

But Dad worked hard and learned to be a businessman on his own. Without going to college, he developed three businesses during his lifetime that profited him well.

He liked to work with his hands. He always had a great workshop. I have two large bookcases and a beautiful cedar chest he made for me, as he did for each of my sisters. If I had asked him to make anything for me out of wood, he would have done so.

Now it is tomato-planting time and that also makes me think of Dad as “once a farmer, always a farmer.” He moved in to town with Mom the last decade of his life, but he had a big backyard and lots of room to grow things like flowers and plants. He was still experimenting that last summer with new tomato plants that were supposed to be huge!

Dad was a back to nature kind of guy, but he liked the latest gadgets too. I remember the first microwave we had – it was huge!! We could have put all of our plates for our family inside at once to be warmed.

One memory I have is the number of men he would employ to work for him. I didn't know it at the time, but some of them had been released from jail and couldn't find another job.

Dad took a chance with them, as these guys could have stolen his expensive tools. But as far as I know, that never happened. Now I write a newsletter for a jail chaplaincy group and I think of Dad whenever I read about an inmate who can't find a job. He needs someone like my dad in his life to give him a boost.

Dad, we miss you, but we know you’re in a wonderful place and we can't wait to join you some day.
Love, Your daughter, Kay

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kay,

What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet him. I see many of his wonderful traits in you.

Cathy

Tue May 13, 04:21:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home