Friday, May 09, 2008

A Tribute to Mother's Day

" But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go, I will go, and where you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her. Ruth

I was reading the book of Ruth today in the Bible and ran across this beautiful passage. Naomi’s husband and two sons (one was Ruth’s husband) have all died. Naomi is telling her daughters in law to return to their own people and start new lives. But Ruth refuses.

Most people who I have heard quote this do it from a viewpoint of a man and woman who love each other and want to be married forever.

But it is actually the words of a young woman who has a beloved mother in law and doesn't want to see her suffer more by being alone.

In tribute to Mother’s Day which is coming up, I want to say what a terrific mother in law I had for 19 years. Jane was helpful, friendly, talented, happy, and hard-working. She didn't offer advice when it was not wanted, nor was she critical of decisions we did make. She loved our children and they loved her. When we lost her to cancer in 1999, it was one of the saddest days of my life. I loved her second only to my own mom of the women in my life.

My mother is still living and has all of the above attributes. She lost my dad a few years ago but has done well at managing that grief and yet still chooses to get up each day and look at the world as a good place. We are very proud of her.

She lives close to me and if I have anything to say about it, always will. I know people who live across the country from their elderly parents and that is not a choice I would make. I want to be with my mom through everything and I know she feels the same about our family.

My husband and children have been blessed with terrific, god-fearing mothers and grandmothers and we know that is worth more to us than money in the bank. Thank you, God, for giving us these wonderful ladies. And Thanks, Mom, for loving us so much.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home