Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The unfolding of your words

“The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.”- Psalm 119:130


It seems to me this should be the goal of every writer – that the unfolding or laying out of our words would give light to the reader. The words would illuminate someone’s life journey. Our written thoughts would offer a simple explanation to the issues that are confusing and complex.

How are you doing with your writing? Are you attempting to keep it all simple and easily understood? Look at your pronouns. Is it always understood to the reader what you are referring to? After I’m done with an article, I read back through it, looking for areas that seem ambiguous, then inserting the subject’s name several more times. I figure it’s always better to be too clear than not enough.

Of course this can also apply to the words we speak, whether in a speech or conversation. My husband often has to ask me what I’m talking about, especially if I’ve changed subjects in mid-conversation (which really isn't much of a conversation!). All of the “hims”, “hers”, and “its” make for some confusion in my speech. Go figure!

Sometimes it seems tedious to have to back everything up and fill in the blanks. But it will lead to better “light” and understanding if you do.

Think about it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home