Thursday, October 09, 2008

Labor that Satisfies


A friend pointed out that I had not posted a blog for a while. She’s right. Time got away and for a while I didn't feel inspired to share my thoughts. A daughter has moved overseas to teach in a school and that has taken some getting used to.

At the same time, I’ve been conscious, as have many Americans, of the affect the downturn in the economy has taken on lives. I know we’ve cut way down on our car trips to save money on gas. Back and forth to work and some occasional educational trips to a neighboring city have been the extent of our travels. We’re also gearing up for higher energy costs this winter. Oh joy.

Today I read verses in the Bible that seemed to apply to this national situation of tightening budgets. In Isaiah 55 the prophet wrote "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.”

That sounds great! Who would not want free food? I interviewed a director of a local food bank recently and she laments how the extra demands of customers this year has emptied her shelves. “For the first time in the 12 years I’ve been here I wonder if we will have enough money to get us through the winter,” she told me.

Food and drink – the necessities of life. How are you faring? Are you doing well enough to offer help to someone else?

The next words from the prophet project this, “Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?” (1-2)

I think he’s saying to think carefully before spending your dollars. Will you really want that Vera Bradley bag in one month? Or could you use it to sponsor a child for six months in another country who is struggling to find money to go to school?

That is labor that satisfies.

I’ve been volunteering my labor in crocheting free caps for people who lose hair from cancer, burns and other illness through a group I helped to found called Stitches of Hope. You can find out more about how to help these people at our website: http://www.stitchesofhope.com/

We’ve received glowing thanks from hospitals and patients. There’s so much we can do to help others.

What help can you contribute to others during this challenging time? you won't regret it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home